Kitten has close call after eating sewing needle

No Comments

Photo of author

By Karen Harrison Binette


A 6 month old kitten had a very dangerous scare when she got a sewing needle stuck in her throat. Fortunately, Peaches’ petmom rushed her to the vet, where the needle was safely removed.

Peaches had gotten hold of a needle and thread, and her petmom knew there was an emergency when the kitten let out a scream and had thread coming out of her mouth.

Natalie Warburton, of Warbuck, UK, took Peaches to Vets4Pets Blackpool Warbreck, where veterinary staff were able to carefully ease the needle out with no harm to the kitten.

Vets4Pets Blackpool Warbreck shared a photo of Peaches and her xrays and told the story at Facebook on October 12, writing: We had an interesting case in over the weekend. This lovely little kitten decided it was going to play with a thread it had found unfortunately the needle was still attached and it tried to swallow it as you can see from the x-rays. Luckily we were able to remove it without any lasting damage to the kitten. But it is a reminder to all of us to be careful with our pets; they can eat anything.

The Blackpool Gazette told more on the story in an article Wednesday where Natalie said: “I heard her let out the most horrific scream.

“I was in full panic mode.”

“When I saw the X-rays I just felt sick. I don’t have any children. My cats are like my babies. I don’t know what I’d do without them.”

Vets4Pets senior vet Caroline Ross told the Gazette: “It’s a good thing her owner noticed the thread coming out of her mouth and brought her in straight away.

“The throat is a delicate area. There are a lot of important blood vessels in the neck. It could have easily pierced an artery.

“If we hadn’t removed the needle the cat would have died.”

Veterinary nurse Stacey Pannett said: “The needle had pierced the roof of her mouth. If it had gone up at the wrong angle it could have easily gone into her eyes and caused permanent damage.”

Vets4Pets staff were able to ease the needle out by pushing the blunt end partway down the cat’s throat and then pulling it out by the sharp end.

Natalie took the opportunity to pass on a word of caution to other petparents, saying: “It’s unbelievable how close Peach came to being seriously hurt from something so small in just a split second.

“People assume that because it’s a sharp object a kitten won’t try to eat it, but they just might.”

She also expressed thanks to the veterinary staff who helped Peaches.


About Author

Leave a Comment