Danielle Lindberg has finally gotten her cat back home from the vet. Jack had been spray-painted. When he returned on a cold, snowy day to the house, Danielle was shocked at the sight of him and until she smelled his coat, was completely baffled as to what was all over him.
After an hour of trying to remove the spray-paint on her own with no success, she took him to the Cat Doctor where manager Kerry Fost took and additional hour to get him cleaned up. Kerry stated that while small amounts of spray-paint are not toxic, when they get to exposed skin it can be a cause for severe irritation. She also noted he had several large red areas on his back following the cleaning.
In 2013, Huffingtonpost shared a story about a cat who died following a spray-painting incident. Ingestion and inhalation of the toxins damaged the cat’s lungs and it could never recover. Initially, the Humane Society of Mercer County offered a $100 reward for information about the case which was elevated to $800 through private donations. While the pranksters may have found it funny, nobody else was laughing.
Danielle’s concerns, however, now that Jack is back and safe, is not only for his safety, but for that of the others animals in the neighborhood, as well. There have been incidents involving BB gun shootings and several cats in the area have gone missing. Her concerns are well founded that someone in that area clearly does not like cats and has it in for them. Until then, she is very happy that Jack is back.