Leo, Cat Missing Since Home Explosion, is Found
A devastating natural gas explosion on February 23 destroyed the two Haddon Heights, NJ apartments in a converted home where Raquel Nunn lived with her cat Leo. Raquel was severely injured, with second and third degree burns over he entire body, and has been under care in the ICU at Crozer Chester Medical Center.
Raquel lost everything she owned in the explosion and fire. Leo was seen fleeing from his home.
The community quickly banded together to help Raquel, holding fundraisers and collecting donations of clothing and other necessary items.
The Recovery for Raquel Facebook page set up to aid support efforts wrote the following:
“This young woman is one of the nicest and most caring people you will ever meet. She would give you the shirt off her back, and right now she needs her friends and her family more than ever. It’s time for us to come together, as her family, and show her she is not in this alone.”
When the Haddon Heights Police department asked the public to be on the lookout for Leo, people put up fliers, searched and generally kept an eye out in hope of sighting him. Several people reported seeing Leo around in his neighborhood but no one was able to catch him.
The Haddon Heights Police Department made the happy announcement yesterday that Leo had been found, writing “We are happy to report our lost friend Leo the cat was recovered late last night, thanks to the efforts of concerned citizens. He is currently under the care of Dr. Edward Sheehan, of Sheehan Veterinary Centre at 1594 Collins Road in Camden NJ. Dr. Sheehan has graciously donated all care for Leo. He reports Leo has lost some weight and has some burns but he is expected to make a full recovery. Captain Valvardi notified the family. HHPD would like to thank everyone for their efforts.”
Leo’s minor injuries consist of some singed bare spots, missing whiskers and ulcerated, burned paws.
Clare Sheehan said, “On behalf of Sheehan Veterinary and our entire Staff we are happy to be of service to Leo and his beloved owner Raquel . We are hoping her knowing we will give him the love, and medical support he needs … will also help her body heal as well from this terrible experience. ”