Netcare 911 paramedics with the South African hospital network Netcare saved Pepper the kitten’s life last week after he was rescued from his burning home, and one of them is helping the kitten to recover through physiotherapy.
Pepper was trapped in a bedroom when the fire broke out and the residence filled with smoke. He was rescued from the home by firefighters and his owners, but was in distress due to smoke inhalation.
Netcare 911 paramedics, Shaun Paul, Kelsey Shone, Isaac Pillay and Colin Krishnalall came to his aid.
“Pepper was very lethargic and was finding it difficult to walk. His eyes were rolling into the back of his head and he had clearly inhaled a lot of smoke. We gave him some oxygen and ensured he stayed warm in order to stabilize him,” said Shaun Paul, operations manager of the Netcare 911 base at Netcare Alberlito Hospital. Team members took Pepper to a vet in Upper Tongaat, who said he would need intensive physiotherapy on his legs over the next few weeks and would probably never fully recover.
Netcare 911 paramedic Kelsey Shone is helping Pepper and hopes the 8 week old kitten can make a full recovery, despite the vet’s prognosis. Kelsey has been giving Pepper regular physiotherapy on his legs over the past few days and has already seen a vast improvement. Kelsey has committed to caring for the kitten until his owners are ready to take him again.
“It’s amazing that Pepper survived the fire because the house was totally destroyed,” notes Shaun Paul. “He is friendly and full of life, in spite of his traumatic experience. The vet is happy with his progress and is impressed with Kelsey’s dedication to the little kitten.”