A little kitten was rescued from a car engine and given a safe place to stay, thanks to a TV news department and firefighters.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina firefighters rescued the kitten from the engine compartment of the TV news department’s car Tuesday afternoon.
WBTW News 13 reporter AJ Janavel took the Ford Focus to a city council meeting, not realizing the kitten was on board. The kitten had been seen at the station on Monday, but eluded employees who tried to find him.
Mr. Janavel heard meows as he arrived at City Hall for the meeting, and he heard louder cries and saw a bit of fur from under the wheel well after he was parked. The kitten was positioned so he couldn’t be seen from above when the hood was opened, so the rescue was not going to be a simple matter. A second WBTW staffer came over and tried to get the kitten after jacking up the car, but the kitten remained tucked out of reach inside.
Two hours later, after the meeting, Mr. Janavel and fellow reporter Leah Mishkin walked over to the police station looking for help. Animal Control couldn’t help, so a call was put in to Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue.
Fire Rescue sent five firefighters, who lifted the car higher, crawled underneath, and pulled the kitten out. The frightened kitten hissed, squirmed, and then jumped out of his rescuer’s arms, only to run back under the car looking for a place to hide.
One of the firefighters managed to grab the kitten again and animal control checked the little guy out to make sure he was ok after his ordeal.
Kitty traveled back to the TV station, where he was given food and water. A WBTW employee took him home.
See the WBTV report on the story, and photos from the rescue effort below:
WBTW-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Florence, SC
2 thoughts on “Myrtle Beach Firefighters Rescue Kitten from Engine of TV News Car”
of course animal control couldn’t help I mean what are they there for anyway? i get so tired of people saying “sorry we cant help” no.. they DON’T want to help! so glad he was saved and someone gave him a home!
Thanks again to the firemen. They ALWAYS help!!!!!!!!