Kitten who swallowed fish hook gets help

No Comments

Photo of author

By Karen Harrison Binette


A kitten in Southern California is doing great now after a scare when he swallowed a fish hook.

An Encanto resident brought the 4-month-old kitten to the County of San Diego Department of Animal Services on September 12 asking for help.

An x-ray showed the hook in the kitten’s stomach and vet staff decided to watch and wait a bit rather than removing the hook through surgery. Kitty was x-rayed every day so vets could observe the hook’s movements. Within three days, the hook had safely passed through kitty’s system.

The County of San Diego Department of Animal Services posted kitty’s story to Facebook Tuesday, writing:

“This too shall pass” or “The Tale of One That Got Away”

On September 12th, a resident in the Encanto community brought us a cat that had literally “taken the bait” but the only problem was, that fish bait was on a fish hook!

A quick x-ray found the hook in the cat’s stomach. Rather than perform surgery to remove the hook, the cat was x-rayed every day to ensure that the hook was moving through the cat’s body. Sure enough, on the 15th, the x-rays showed that the fish hook had passed. Our medical staff notes say this 4 month old kitten purrs constantly and has a voracious appetite.

The kitten has been named Catfish. He is available for adoption at Animal Services’ Bonita shelter and members of the public are invited to visit him at the shelter.



About Author

Leave a Comment