Kalamazoo Firefighter Rescues Kitten From House Fire

Life With Cats is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.
Public Safety Officer Dave Moran rescued a family’s kitten.

Thanks to a firefighter with the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety, a kitten trapped in its burning home was saved.

Kalamazoo, MI Public Safety Officers responded to a call for a house fire on the 600 block of Edwin St. around 11am on Thursday and found heavy smoke and flames coming from both the first and second floor of the home when they arrived.

The officers attempted to enter and attack the blaze from inside but were driven out by the intensity of the fire conditions. After they knocked the fire down with exterior hose lines, they reentered the structure and extinguished the main portion of the fire from the inside. While fighting the fire from the inside of the home, Officer Dave Moran found the family’s kitten and brought it outside to safety.

The six adults and five children living in the house got out before the emergency responders arrived, along with their other pets. They were helped out of the burning house by a neighbor who was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters remained on scene for several hours as they doused hot spots. The fast moving fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical problem.

The family lost everything but their lives and their pets. They are receiving assistance, including temporary housing help, from the Red Cross.




1 thought on “Kalamazoo Firefighter Rescues Kitten From House Fire”

Leave a Comment