Mobile Fire-Rescue saved 5 cats when they responded to a house fire at 2310 Taylor Ave. in Mobile, Alabama shortly after noon today. Those who called in the fire said flames were visible in the living room, and as fire crews arrived they reported heavy smoke coming from the single story structure. The fire was extinguished quickly.
Fire medics, who arrived first on the scene, rescued two of the family’s five cats and firefighters arriving after them rescued the remaining three. Once outside, fire medics, using donated pet oxygen masks, gave the family pets oxygen.
An woman and her three children escaped without injury.
The woman told fire investigators she saw fire behind the Christmas tree, and investigators found a damaged area around a power supply unit with multiple cords plugged into it in the living room, where the fire started. The fire is being ruled accidental, and is chalked up to electrical malfunction.
A brief raw video clip from the scene after the fire shows the cats already out on the lawn.