Firefighters Rescue and Revive Cat at Florida Apartment Fire

Life With Cats is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.



Pumpkin appeared lifeless and had burned paws when a crew from Pompano Beach Fire Rescue found him collapsed at the scene of a fire at his Florida home on Sunday morning.

The woman renting the apartment at 500 E. McNab Road where the fire broke out was either at work or visiting family in the neighborhood, according to differing reports, with Pumpkin and a second cat home alone. The other cat got out unharmed, but Pumpkin was overcome by smoke and unable to escape.

Firefighters carried him out and paramedics revived him with CPR and a pet oxygen mask.

Pumpkin was taken to a nearby emergency vet and is expected to make a full recovery.

Fire officials say a mattress caught fire. The fire was extinguished before any other apartments in the building were affected.

Leave a Comment