Crews from Neenah-Menasha Fire Rescue in Wisconsin rescued a family’s cat from a house fire this morning and revived the kitty with oxygen at the scene.
Shift commander Kevin Kloehn says there was smoke coming through the front door when firefighters arrived at the burning house in Neenah around 7 a.m.
A mother and her young son got out of the house on their own before firefighters arrived, but the responders had to rescue a dog and a cat who remained in the home. The family’s cat was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation and was revived with oxygen.
Kloehn says Fire Rescue believes the fire, which caused considerable damage to the home’s kitchen, started on a stove, and left smoke damage throughout the house.
Neenah-Menasha Fire Rescue wrote about the fire and pet rescue at Facebook today, saying:
“This morning we responded to a structure fire in the City of Neenah. The homeowner and small child were able to get out safely. We were able to contain the fire to the kitchen and extinguish it before it spread. As we were clearing the smoke out of the house, firefighters began searching for the homeowner’s pets. We were able to find them all and Firefighter Jason was able to revive one of their cats. This fire is a great example of the importance of calling 911, at the first sign of any kind of a fire in your home, and to exit the property immediately. Fire is unpredictable and can spread faster than you think it will. Property is replaceable….human lives are not.”
A commenter at Facebook added: “Thank goodness they are ok being a paraplegic in a wheel chair she did and amazing job getting herself and her son out. Hopefully now her insurance company will replace her wheelchair which was much needed before this.”
Dozens of people left their thanks for the firefighters in comments, and several gave special thanks to firefighter Jason for helping the cat.