Mongo the cat was rescued from his smoke filled, burned home by Tucson, AZ firefighters Thursday morning and treated with oxygen at the scene. He and Dax the dog were reunited with their concerned petmom when they were safely outside.
When firefighters arrived at the burning home shortly after 8am they discovered the homeowner trying to re-enter the building to save her pets. The crew stopped the woman and assured her they would do their best to save her cat and dog.
“The first crew on scene reported heavy smoke coming from the front door,” said Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department. “As they approached the door with the hose line, the owner was trying to go back in for her animals. The crew advised her they would do everything possible to save the animals.”
Dax was quickly found but firefighters were unable to locate and rescue Mongo until the fire was put out.
“Mongo was found by crews inside, but was struggling due to the heavy smoke,” Baker said. He was revived with the use of a pet oxygen mask.
Capt. Baker advises people to: “get out and stay out. Advise the firefighters if everyone is out or if pets are still inside and every attempt will be made to rescue them. Firefighters have the training, equipment and breathing protection to be in that environment.”
The fire did considerable damage to the house. Fire officials say it was sparked by an unattended cigarette in a bedroom at the back of the house.
Quotes from Capt. Baker via the Arizona Daily Star.M/small>
2 thoughts on “Tucson Firefighters Rescue Mongo the Cat From House Fire”
Do you have a Mongo’s picture after all? I want to see it, if it is possible