Henry recovers after swallowing garbage bag

Life With Cats is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.


A stray cat who munched his way through part of a black bin bag while living on the streets has been looking for a new home following life-saving surgery.

Six-year-old Henry was taken in by Cats Protection UK’s Bracknell & Wokingham Districts Branch after he was spotted in a disheveled state in the grounds of a school in Ascot, Berkshire. Cats Protection volunteers and vets became concerned when the ginger-and-white cat got sick and they noticed a strange bulge that would come and go around his abdomen.

Vets were at first baffled by his condition and, after ruling out a worm infestation or a kidney infection, decided surgery to take a biopsy was the only option.

Cats Protection’s Bracknell & Wokingham Branch Welfare Officer Annie Pack said: “Our vet feared there may be a very serious problem and our only option was a biopsy to find out what was causing Henry’s sickness.

“They were staggered when they came across part of a black bin bag. It was a strip around 10cm long and 4cm wide. The plastic had become trapped inside his stomach and there was no way it could have come out naturally. Since it’s been removed he has made a full recovery and the sickness stopped straight away.

“Henry has made a great recovery, put on weight and is enjoying life. He is very friendly and will make a lovely pet.”

Now Henry has recovered from his ordeal and has been fully vaccinated and microchipped. He was made adoptable “Cat of the Month” at the branch for May. He was still looking for his forever home on May 22 but is not currently listed for adoption in the branch’s online directory.



2 thoughts on “Henry recovers after swallowing garbage bag”

  1. Poor baby, out on the streets and so hungry. Thank heaven for the loving folks who helped him out and saved him. I so hope he gets a loving indoor home andwill be safe for the rest of his life !

Leave a Comment