Queens Man Sentenced to Year in Prison for Killing Cat

The man at the center of a brutal cat killing case was sentenced today to a mandatory prison sentence.

vdjdjg Richard Ferrugio of Ozone Park, Queens, NY was convicted last month of aggravated cruelty to animals and fourth-degree weapon possession for brutally killing a stray cat as eyewitnesses begged him to stop. Ferrugio was sentenced today to one year mandatory jail time.

Ferrugio refused several offers for a plea deal that wold have gotten him probation, insisting on a trial instead. He was convicted at the conclusion of a six day jury trial for the February 2012 incident, where several witnesses saw him attack and kill the cat after being thrown out of a bar, Neirs Tavern in Woodhaven.

The ASPCA investigated the incident and said several witnesses, including children, watched  as Ferrugio kicked the cat against a wall, then pulled a tire iron out of his car and beat the animal to death with it on a sidewalk outside of the bar, before fleeing on foot.

A witness testified during the June trial that she saw Ferrugio beat the cat with the tire iron. A second witness told him to stop kicking the cat against a cement wall and Ferrugio responded, saying that he’d do the same thing to her. Several other people tried to get him to stop and  he said they’d be next, according to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown.

“The defendant showed a complete disregard for the life of a helpless animal by violently beating it to death on a public street. Even when passersby asked him to stop, he refused. This is a troubling crime and deserving of significant punishment,” the DA said in a statement.

Ferrugio told arresting officers back in February 2012 that the cat scratched him and made him angry.

In a weak effort at gaining leniency, Ferrugio told Queens Supreme Court Justice Joseph Zayas at the sentencing hearing today, “I don’t understand a cat’s actions, but I had the tire iron to change a flat and it attacked me.” The judge was unmoved and sentenced Ferrugio to a one year prison sentence.

“This defendant should be the example and sentenced to the maximum to show that his actions against animals won’t be tolerated. It is proven that acts against animals turn to acts of violence with humans,” said Queens Assistant District Attorney Hugo Basso.

“You are a criminal, the jury’s verdict made you a criminal…a prison sentence is warranted, you acted with aggravated cruelty to an animal which you admitted to,” said Justice Zayas.

July 12, 2013 9:58 pmPosted 9 months ago
    Goeffrey Blones

He deserves to kiss those jail bars.

July 12, 2013 10:03 pmPosted 9 months ago
    E. Fitzgerald

Why do they think 1 year is enough for aggravated cruelty? Does it matter whether its a person or an animal – the crime was the same and the sentence should be the same as for cruelty to a human…. ?

July 19, 2013 1:44 pmPosted 9 months ago
      Paula

I agree that 1 year is not near enough, but glad he got that over probation, a fine or a slap on the wrist!

July 12, 2013 10:52 pmPosted 9 months ago
    Goldie Goodwin

This is a horrific crime. I can’t imagine the pain the cat went through. I am sure this guy has done this before. A year in prison will fly by and the nutcase will back out of the streets with a score to settle. Nobody, 2 or 4 legged is safe from him

July 15, 2013 8:59 pmPosted 9 months ago
    patricia

No punishment is harsh enough for a crime like this! I sure hope in jail you are given a chance to fight for your life against someone your own size! I hope you rot in hell!

July 16, 2013 8:42 amPosted 9 months ago
    SimonMom

What a pathetic waste of our precious oxygen. Mr. Ferrugio deserves the same treatment and maybe that’s what he’ll get while he’s behind bars.

July 18, 2013 9:06 amPosted 9 months ago
    Lisa P

Crying reading this story……what a cold-hearted piece of human garbage. I hope all the animal lovers in jail get a heads-up that he’s coming and have a welcoming party for him that includes unmentionable party favors! Wish a bystander would’ve jumped his bones as he beat the cat. I know I would’ve…….

July 19, 2013 1:46 pmPosted 9 months ago
      Paula

Me too Lisa! I’d have grabbed something and gone after him!!

August 14, 2013 9:21 amPosted 8 months ago
        Brenda

I can,t imagine no one doing anything. There is no way I could watch and do nothing

July 21, 2013 12:06 pmPosted 9 months ago
    Carmen

One year for animal cruelty is not enough. That how they start with animals first, then humans. This thing needs to be locked up for life.

August 9, 2013 4:13 pmPosted 8 months ago
    Jesse

At some people should have stopped asking and started to make him stop.

September 18, 2013 9:14 pmPosted 7 months ago
      Bob

I completely agree. There were many witnesses, and only one of him. They should’ve all together attacked and beaten this piece of fucking shit to death (I do not believe in censorship and straight up say what I think). My hands are itching to have 5 mins with this fucker and send him to where he belongs! Had I been one of the witnesses, I wouldn’t even care about my own life, I would only care about protecting the kitty and would do anything to try and stop him.

1 year may be a step forward in justice, but it is absolutely nowhere near enough and only shows how flawed the justice system is, how much it values an animal life. I truly hope that all the other inmates make his extremely brief jail time the most nightmarish and terrible time of his life, as well as the last thing he’d ever know! Do not worry ferrugio, you thought you’d get away easy, one short year and back out again, but this will be the worst and the last year of your p.o.s useless life, and after that it will only get worse because you will rot in hell forever thereafter!

RIP little angel.

August 14, 2013 9:16 amPosted 8 months ago
    Brenda

I am speechless right now after just reading about this devil man killing a kitty. The anger is welling up in my throat. I can actually, physically feel the anger. It breaks my heart.

September 2, 2013 2:27 amPosted 7 months ago
    Sherry O'Neal

THIS MAN SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AT LEAST 12 year’s,IN A PRISON FOR HIS HORRIFIC MURDER OF A PRECIOUS PURRBABY, IF HE COULD DO SUCH A HORRIFYING COLDHEARTED,BRUTAL MURDER OF AN INNOCENT ANIMAL,HE WILL DO IT TO A HUMAN,NEXT… :’(

October 25, 2013 8:31 amPosted 5 months ago
    micheline

Every criminal act done to hurt/harm/jeopardize any living creature should be sentenced with unbearable jailterm.To inflict physical pain is as much a murder than anything else.Each body/spirit needs respect and safety to live normal and happy.Men are terrible beings when it comes to violence.I wish there would be flogging as in Bible times for anyone daring to hurt innocent beings.I think 40 lashes minus one would quickly deminish all cruelty done to innocent animals and humans.