Cat Who Restored a Soldier's Hope Travels From Afghanistan to the US

Koshka the cat restored hope and comfort to Staff Sgt. Jesse Knott when the horrors of life and war in Afghanistan had destroyed them.

Jesse Knott took care of the cat, who had been viewed as just a mouser and was not being cared for especially well, but Koshka gave back more than imagined in return. To show his thanks, and to maintain their bond, Jesse arranged for a dangerous transport across Afghanistan, to Kabul and into Pakistan before Koshka could fly to Oregon City, OR in the US to be with Jesse’s family.

Jesse took the cat in and kept him in his small office on base in Afghanistan, and Koshka became a reminder that life could be normal and peaceful, as it had been back home in Oregon City. “You lose faith in a lot but sometimes it’s the smallest things that bring you back,”  Jesse said.

After an attack on December 8, 2011, when a suicide bomber targeted a military convoy near his base in the Maiwand District of Afghanistan,”I was so devastated that I lost all hope. Two of my friends were violently taken away,” Jesse said. He was crying in his office when Koshka came over and crawled into his lap.

That moment marked a turning point: Jesse said,  “I’d lost hope in myself. I’d lost faith. Then all of a sudden this cat came over and it was like ‘hey, you are you.’” It was then that Jesse decided that Koshka would go to live with his family back in the US. “He pulled me out of one of my darkest times so I had to pull him out of one of his darkest places.”

The journey out of Afghanistan was not a safe one, and was carried out with great bravery by a local interpreter, who risked his life for the mission.

“He was my saving grace,” Jesse said. “He kept me alive during that tour.”

Now Koshka has been saved, and has a good life in the US.

See the touching story on video, below.

FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather

March 19, 2013 1:29 pmPosted 1 year ago
    mary

I admire your courage and love for your cat!!!!!!

March 19, 2013 2:40 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Charles A. Williams

Sarge, we are a cat loving family. We have three in the house and six live in our garage. LOL! Thank you for saving Koska.You will be rewarded by the love your cat will give you. GOD BLESS. We will pray for you.

March 20, 2013 12:40 amPosted 1 year ago
    Ellen

Thank you for this great story.

March 20, 2013 8:39 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Risa

What a wonderful story & what a beautiful Bengal cat too! I’m an animal lover who for years was allergic to cats till my beautiful silver tabby tomcat, Shadow and his little long haired calico mate came into our lives one winter. It was the first time that I didn’t sneeze,itch or have watery eyes; that and love at first site *laugh*. Animals give love unconditionally and with out thought. We too should do the same but so many don’t. Thank You Staff Sgt. Knott for helping your guardian angel Koshka get out of a warzone and into a safe environment with your family until you too can come home! You’ll definately have a happy to see you cat when you return to him!

March 26, 2013 1:01 amPosted 1 year ago
    KSA

Ive heard of Alley Cat Allies and their tireless efforts to try and get these animals transported here Stateside and I thank God above for sending these guys to our Soldiers to help them cope with the day to day stress. I wish I had the means I’d donate to bring everyone of them home.

Thanks for your Service, Sarge! God Bless you guys and stay safe!

April 9, 2013 12:40 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Share Sandearthsun

WAR is wrong.

November 27, 2013 6:17 pmPosted 4 months ago
    Kelsey

I love u I’m 11 I have 2 bengal cats too!!! I once had a Siamese but he had a disease me and my family had no idea about. He died on Christmas Day in 2013.