Vet On Emergency Duty Shocked to Discover He's Treating His Own Unrecognizable Cat
Ben had the surreal experience of learning that the badly injured cat whose life was in his hands was his own family pet one night last October when he responded to an emergency call for an injured cat at Downland Veterinary Group in Emsworth, UK. The cat’s injuries included the following: shattered facial bones, the pelvis was detached from his spine, a cruciate ligament was ruptured inside one of his knees, and another leg was damaged.
Given the severity of the injuries and uncertainty over whether the cat would live, the cat might not have been given lifesaving treatment if an owner could not be identified and contacted.
Ben ran the microchip scan and realized that the shattered animal lying in front of him was his own cat, George. Two months of hospitalization and surgeries healed and repaired George’s injuries, and he is back to being his old self again now.
Ben told The Portsmouth News, “I’m just so glad that I made the decision to get him microchipped with Tracer or he would never have been identified and his life could very well have been lost.” Ben shared his and George’s story in part to help promote National Microchipping Month, which runs through the end of June in the UK, to encourage cat and dog owners to microchip their pets.