Toronto area woman's distressing craigslist post about her cat: A call for help

Can anyone help?

Are any readers in the Toronto area or nearby US locations in touch with area rescues, especially those experienced with ferals? The cat who is the subject of a Pickering, ONT Craigslist post is in dire need of help from someone.  The following post was placed on 11/88 and was brought to our attention by a reader who could not stop thinking about this poor cat. The listing is still up, and we have linked to it. We wrote to the poster yesterday asking if the situation had change and someone had helped, and the answer was no. Tex text of her note follows the original post below.

If someone can get there, get the cat and take it for a medical assessment it might save a life, or at least relieve the cat from its suffering. We have included the link to Craigslist for anyone who is able to help. Please do not contact the woman to chastise her; the focus should be on getting the cat help. Thank you.
The post reads as follows:

need advice for a sick cat! (pickering)

hey there!

I’ve got a cat who has decided to become feral. for over 3 years she has had chronic diarrhea. ive tried to give her medication from the vet but she refuses it. she is now living in my backyard and i am considering euthanizing her to put an end to her suffering.
i feed her twice a day and she stays in the shed in the backyard but she is in a lot of pain.
she cannot control her bowel movements so she has diarrhea dripping all day – her hind legs are covered and i believe she has started to chew at her legs now as i noticed an exposed patch of skin that looked like a fresh wound.

any advice on how to ‘trap’ her so i can take her to the vet to get her euthanized. i doubt she’ll make it through the winter even though ive got a cat house built for her along with the shed.

if anyone is experienced with trapping feral cats please let me know asap! i would really appreciate your help

Craigslist link: need advice for a sick cat (pickering)

___

The poster responded to our email asking if the situation had changed or anyone had come to help. here is their response:

The poster writes:

no one has come to help the poor cat…i went to the animal shelter and explained the situation to them and they said to rent out a racoon trap and try to trap the cat and then take her to the shelter
she’s in really bad shape so they’ll probably put her down since that would be the most humane thing to do
i haven’t been able to go to rent the humane trap as yet – they close at 5pm and i get off work at 5pm so i’m trying to arrange something to see how i can go about picking up this trap
i would appreciate it if you could get someone from a rescue to assist me in this
im located in pickering
thanks
It appears that it may be just a matter of time until the cat is put down, assuming the person follows through on the plan to rent the raccoon trap. If they don’t get the trap, the cat will continue to suffer.
If you cannot help directly but have rescue connections in the US Upper Midwest, or the Toronto area who may be willing to help, please share with those connections, if you will. Thank you.
Addendum: We received the following note after publication.
I had adopted the in the spring of 2006 from a coworker who lives on a farm. She had cats of her own as well as barn cats living on her property. One of her cats got impregnated by one of the barn cats and gave birth to a litter of 6 or 8 (I cannot remember). I adopted one of the cats and maybe two years later she developed a severe case of diarrhea (maybe earlier, as she frequently relieved herself outdoors instead of in the litterbox). I took her to the vet, got her all the necessary shots and gave her medication to try to relieve her of her diarrhea but that did not work. I have tried to keep her indoors but she prefers being an outdoor cat. She has disappeared for a few weeks in the past but always found her way home since we do feed her everyday.
She no longer even attempts or seems interested in coming indoors so I let her stay outside since that is where she seemed most content. She always runs away and seems afraid of people. I cannot approach her and the only time she comes close is to be fed.
Her diarrhea has become so bad that she is always crying and has absolutely no control of her bowels. There have been numerous occasions where I have witnessed her walking painfully while dripping and leaving a trail of feces. My back porch is evidence of this fact as it is covered in liquid cat feces.
The poor thing’s hind legs are covered in her own feces and when I saw her trying to cleanse herself the other day I saw that most of her hind legs’ skin is exposed, she may have been chewing/gnawing at her legs in an attempt to clean herself. I feel really sorry for her and she needs help that I cannot provide for her. She seems like she is in such a bad state that the most humane thing to do would probably have to be to get her euthanized.
Please let me know if you can arrange anyone from a rescue to come help her out. I really appreciate your help and support.
Thank you.
MM
We have MM’s phone number and will release it to serious parties trying to help this cat.

November 25, 2011 5:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Claudia

I don’t live in Pickering or Ontario but I found the following organization:

Other than that, I would suggest she call a vet and see if there’s something they could do to help or they may be able to recommend an organization that could help or one that could just drop off a humane trap.

The other thing she could try is an organization in a nearby city/town — Ontario has so many rescue organizations. It sounds like she hasn’t done a whole lot of legwork other than posting to try to get someone to do this for her.

Trapping is easy if the cat is still eating, if not, it’ll be more difficult. As far as her being feral, I doubt it. If she has “tried” to give her medication, that means that she can get close enough to pick her up. If this cat is as malnourished as she sounds, she is probably too weak to put up a fight and she should be able to place her in a carrier.

I really hope she musters up the courage to do this on her own. That poor cat deserves to have her pain dealt with, either by vet treatment or humane euthanasia.

November 25, 2011 9:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Renate

Someone has asked for the woman’s phone number and is willing to help, let’s hope the poster is paying attention. Poor cat, at least 2 years of illness and pain. I can’t say I have a high opinion of her owner, she should have looked for help ages ago, but the important thing is to get the cat out of that situation.

November 25, 2011 10:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Editor (Author)

I have her number and gave it to the woman who asked. ‘Hope she saw it.

November 26, 2011 6:06 amPosted 2 years ago
    sharon

I felt sick when i read of this poor cats plight,i just dont understand how anyone could let this poor baby suffer like this.Please keep updating what has happened to this little one as i will worry constantly about this,she needs help fast.

• November 26, 2011 2:25 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amelia

Sounds to me like ‘someone’ had a kitty who got too sick to be dealt with indoors given their ‘busy’ work schedule and so kitty had to become an outdoor cat! Glad the owner at least had the courtesy to get the poor kitty help 2 years later! Finally feeling a little remorse for a poor judgment call is better than no remorse at all… Seems a little odd that she’s let the kitty suffer 2 years worth of continuous diarrhea and is just now getting her help.

November 27, 2011 3:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lilly

Seriously, here is another ad on Kijijiji. Why are these people not being charged with neglect?

Free Russian Blue Cat (She Is Unwanted).

Date Listed 27-Nov-11
    Price Free
    Address Etobicoke, Toronto, ON, Canada
    View map
    Offered By Owner
    Date of Birth 13-May-09 (2 years old)

DescriptionRehoming & AdoptionI Have A Russian Blue Cat. A Lady On Kijiji Gave Her To Me But I Am Now To Busy To Take Care Of Her. She Is Spayed And Has Had All Of Her Required Shots.
    Please Someone Take Her. She Is Not Being Cared For Because I Don’t Have The Time. I Need Her Gone By Dec 01 2011 Or By February 2012.
    P.s Drop Off Is Available :)

• November 28, 2011 12:20 amPosted 2 years ago
    Irene

Sounds like someone is getting in touch with the sick cat’s guardian. If not, she may wish to contact Toronto Cat Rescue at 416-538-8592, #3.

Cats seem to fall prey to neglect so easily, with the way they hide pain. It is so sad that this cat had diarrhea for over 3 years, progressing to the sorry state that was described, and nothing was done. The porch being covered with liquid diarrhea, it must not have been cleaned regularly. The poor Russian Blue mentioned above, is another sad story where a cat doesn’t seem to be valued for the wonderful creature that she is.

“When we know better, we do better”, is something I heard on Oprah’s network the other day. Couldn’t we do better to prevent this type of problem? There needs to be more training to people about cat care. Help them recognize and deal with problems when they’re still simple. It would be great to have a help line for people having problems with their pets. This would reduce suffering (of pets and people!) and reduce the numbers of pets surrendered to shelters!

Anyone interested can learn more about saving cats at a 2-hour webinar (online course) this Friday, Dec. 2. Info is on the Facebook page of the No Kill Advocacy Center. This Center has lots of great ideas, such as the help line idea.

For more ideas and other more upbeat material, check out Crazy about Cats: http://www.facebook.com/Canadiancats. It’s all about sharing our knowledge to make the landscape a safer place for Canadian cats, and having fun along the way.

November 29, 2011 11:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Renate

The cat was rescued and is at a vet’s now. She is in terrible shape, so dehydrated she was close to death. It is not certain if she will make it, but at least she has been made as comfortable as possible.

• December 1, 2011 9:28 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Irene

Thanks you so much for keeping us informed, Renate. I will repost your comments on the Toronto Cat Rescue Facebook page where I linked this article. It is reassuring to know that caring person(s) stepped forward and showed some love in the best way we can, even at this difficult stage.

December 3, 2011 11:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
        Lilly

Irene and everyone else, I posted before and after pictures on http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/stopthekillings/ Thank you everyone involved with helping bring attention to this neglect! This cat will need a special new home soon because her back area can’t be touched…However, she loves head butts and talks non-stop and will be an amazing kitty once she recovers. Anyone in the area looking to give this lady a whole lifetime of love, temptations and warmth, please let us know. She is 5 years old and spent 4 of those years in pain suffering. Please, lets give this lady the life she deserves?