Dexter Kitten, RIP

We were as stunned as anyone yesterday at the sad news that Dexter kitten has gone to Rainbow Bridge. Along with everyone else, we thought he was ready to embark on a long, happy life; but his seizures were unrelenting and the decision was made to release him from the distress they caused.

The headline to this story is stark, but our heats are breaking at the news of Dexter kitten’s passing. Like many readers, we followed his journey from the day the story of his brutal beating and its aftermath was reported in the local FL paper one day early last June. Dexter received severe blows to the head, allegedly at the hands of pregnant 24 year Wilana Frazier and her two young sons, who she reportedly egged on to join her as she spewed a steady stream of curses during the beatings of two tiny kittens with a metal bat in broad daylight at a public playground. The other kitten died at the scene.

PetLuv Spay and Neuter Clinic, of Brooksville FL, took responsibility for Dexter and his care after a group of boys rescued him from the playground and took him to one boy’s mother, who wrapped the tiny victim in a t-shirt and rushed him to get care. PetLuv was initially very cautionary about Dexter’s chances of survival, due to severe head trauma, but as time passed they became more hopeful in their updates on his condition and development.

As many know, Dexter was fostered by PetLuv staffer Tiffany Sroka, who eventually adopted the sweet kitten who had made such remarkable progress.

We at Life With Cats followed each hopeful step in Dexter’s progress, each cute new photo, and each endearing video along with all his many supporters from all over. We made several updates on his story, with each one having an increasingly more optimistic tone until they finally became joyous.

Now he is gone.  Those closest to him made the difficult decision to free him from chronic seizures brought about due to the severe head trauma. The decision was made out of love and cannot have been easy. We grieve for Dexter, and we send our sincere condolences to those who nurtured him and finally released him from this life.

The picture at the top of this post is our favorite, and is the way we will choose to remember Dexter, as a kitten who knew love and had a good home, and who received loving prayers and good wishes from both a local and a worldwide support system.

Here is Dexter’s final video, which shows him cuddling with and loving his Mommy. Run free sweet boy.

Cathy, Dexter’s great friend and advocate at Petluv, and Tiffany, Dexter’s caregiver and petmom, both of whom loved him greatly and deeply, each posted a public statement on the occasion of Dexter’s passing, as follows below.

From Cathy,

Dexter’s seizures did not stop and through it the pain and suffering became more evident. It is with very heavy heart that I share with you our little Dexter has crossed over the rainbow bridge. Without being able to stabilize him it became clear that there were no realistic treatment options. There are many cats that can live long happy lives and still have seizures, but with his being because of the head trauma inflicted on him, his was a different story.

His life, although way too short, touched thousands of people and hopefully our little furry fighter also raised awareness…. if a 2 pound kitty can bring about so much support just think of what one human can do. Please continue to pay it forward and if someone asks why, tell them it’s because of Dexter.

I am so very sorry to have to share this news, it has been my honor to be able to provide updates, pictures/ videos and walk you through his story.  At this time I ask that you please join me in thanking Tiffany and her family for giving little Dexter a life of happiness and endless love.

From Tiffany:

To everyone who has been so nice to share such kind words I would like to leave you with this. Dexter touched many lives. I chose to help get his story out there because I believed that he may be able to make a difference. Being a previous victim of domestic violence I know the feelings one may have afterwards. Dexter helped to show me strength and love despite what life may throw at you. If one person is changed by this or helped by this then it was all worth it. I would like to leave everyone with a sense of the love that we shared as a family and one that I would never forget. I loved my baby boy more than anyone will know but in those final hours I knew that I could not see him suffer so. Love is not only knowing when to let go but standing by ones side till the very end. I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the support you have given our clinic, my family and to my lil man. RIP Dexter we will always love you.

For more, see our Index of stories on Dexter kitten.

• August 16, 2011 2:03 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Kristopher Kosie

So sad. I was really pulling for the little fella. The perpetrators are awful, awful people. Especially the so-called “mom”.

August 16, 2011 2:03 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Jacquie Malette

RiP little Dexter.

August 16, 2011 2:04 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Susan Blair Robards

God Bless you, Dexter, RIP sweet boy. <3

August 16, 2011 2:04 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Carmen James

So sad!

• August 16, 2011 2:05 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Rose Hafner

So sorry for your loss.

August 16, 2011 2:05 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Gloria Jean Pendleton

RIP Dexter, you are in better place and the bad tremers are all gone… hugs and loves for you

August 16, 2011 2:06 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Maritza Murphy

Run free Dexter!!

August 16, 2011 2:06 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Dionne Canter

Let’s hope he’s playing with his brother and telling him that not all humans are mean!

August 17, 2011 4:53 pmPosted 3 years ago
      hamby96

Dionne-I agree, I hope he’s with his brother and shares the stories of good people. Cats will never stop giving unconditional love

• August 16, 2011 2:07 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Kathy Miller Bigenho

RIP sweet Dexter, run free at the bridge now.

• August 16, 2011 2:07 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Sara Trent

If only love could have cured him.

August 16, 2011 2:09 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Sarah Heinz

:’ (

August 16, 2011 2:10 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Susan M. Bell

Social Services needs to step in with those kids, if they haven’t already. If they don’t, I fear for what that “mom” is turning them into.

I’m so glad Dexter knew love before he passed, and sad that his sibling didn’t get that same chance.

August 17, 2011 4:58 pmPosted 3 years ago
      hamby96

Susan you echo my sentiments exactly! At least he did have love and good people who cared.
      The thought of his brother haunts me.
      That mother was teaching her kids to be serial killers-it’s one of the three warning signs, torturing animals. Maybe she’s one. And pregnant to boot! What is the harshest penalty in Fl. for this??

August 16, 2011 2:11 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Rosie Parkes

poor we mite. :-(

August 16, 2011 2:12 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Debra Gray

RIP little Dexter… :(

• August 16, 2011 2:14 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Karen Smith

What a sad story. It sickens me to hear of people beating animals senseless for no reason at all. To injure kittens, who haven’t even had a chance to grow up is totally distasteful. I hope that woman was punished for her actions, and to read that she even egged on her children to participate in the beatings makes me gag.

August 16, 2011 2:15 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Jennifer Horton

Jeez I hate seeing this. Am saddened by his passing, but so grateful he has somewhere to go that he has no bad issues now!!! Curl up in God’s lap Dexter. You are very safe there!!!!!

August 16, 2011 2:15 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Anne LeBouton

Really sorry to hear this. He was a beautiful little guy. Any word on what is being done to the woman who did this to him?

• August 16, 2011 2:15 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Geomina Turlea

it made me cry

• August 16, 2011 2:15 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Joyce Yoho

I followed Dexter’s story every step of the way and signed the petition against the sociopath who tortortured Dexter and urged her children to do the same. I, too, had hope that he was going to make a full recovery. I prayed for him every day. I am devastated that his seizures started and he was in pain. I do understand that he needed to be free of that and fly over the Bridge. Dexter is now an angel. I can only pray that he fulfilled his purpose here on earth by bringing so many kind, caring people together in love for him. Dexter, I will always love you and you will live on in the hearts and souls of all who loved you and cared for you. You are in the most beautiful and peaceful place there can be. You are home again.

• August 16, 2011 2:16 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Anita Shields

Be free little one, and play with all the mice you can find

August 16, 2011 2:16 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Christine Mayr

RIP sweet little Dexter. <3 My heart goes out to you and your loved ones <3

• August 16, 2011 2:19 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Kt Thalin

Too sad for words. :(

• August 16, 2011 2:22 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Kris Stein

I am so heartbroken because of the loss of Dexter. I have never cried so much for a kitty I didn’t know personally. I followed his story from the start and I’m just so heartbroken. Tiffany thank you for showing him the love he deserved. RIP Dexter! Please find Moz Kitty, she’ll look after you and soon my Den Den will be there. Please help her find Moz, so that Denny isn’t scared.

August 16, 2011 2:23 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Cathy Ruggiero

August 16, 2011 2:24 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Coree

I am in tears and am totally heartbroken reading this! :-*( Rest in Peace Sweet Kitten. I hope that lady gets punished for what she did to these precious babies.

August 16, 2011 2:26 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Debbie Anders

Poor baby :( Chessie, Max, Nubbin, Happy, Shadow & Mitten will be watching for you…

August 16, 2011 3:26 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Torgo

Rest in peace little Dexter. You will be missed by many and I’m sorry that the hardship inflicted on you had to occur. At least you got proper love and attention during the short time afterwars that you deserved.

August 16, 2011 3:37 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Tracey

Sorry to read about Dexter. I hope that 24 year old idiot and her worthless sons are punished for this! This is horrible. I cried when I read this story.

• August 16, 2011 3:51 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Melissa

Dear Dexter, I’m sorry you had such a terrible start to your life, that was not fair! You were blessed by having a new great home with lots of love and peace around you until the end! Dexter you have touched many lives, and you will always be remembered and loved!!! Love, Melissa =^.^=

August 16, 2011 6:36 pmPosted 3 years ago
    leah

I couldn’t cry more over this story if it was a child who was beaten and killed. It just rips my heart out to think humans can be so cruel to something so small and helpless… What is it that we are teaching our children?

I fear for our future.

August 16, 2011 7:36 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Carmen

I am both saddened and sickened by this poor babies short life. How disgusting and inhumane this woman was to do this to a living, breathing beautiful animal. And to have her children in on it as well. They need to take her children away…she is an unfit mother. I am so hurt that Dexter died…the pain he must have suffered. At least he had wonderful angels watching and caring for him at the end. RIP sweet baby….go run with your siblings and your momma in a much better place…

August 16, 2011 11:48 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Pamela Sorokey

I am shocked and crying of the news about our sweet precious angel baby Dexter’s passing! I was praying so hard that would continue to get better, and live a long happy loving life! At least he knew he was loved by everyone who knew about him, and his mommy, and at Petluv! He touched my heart so much, I will always love him, he will be in my heart forever! God Bless you baby Dexter! May you Rest In Peace, and play with your baby brother, and tell him how there are plenty of good loving people, that not all people are horrible and mean! Love you so much baby Dexter! XOXOXO

August 17, 2011 6:41 amPosted 3 years ago
    Tater's Mom

Yet another precious life is lost to complete monsters of the “human” kind. I could never harm an defenseless animal or human. Ok yes I kill ants or spiders but it is quick. The pain this little guy must have gone thru and yet he still trusted people to help him. He did not deserve what he got in life and to have one that caused painful seizures was not fair either. Thank you to the wonderful people who tried to save him. Thank you for the hours of love and care you gave this beautiful little boy.

Purr in peace little Dexter. xoxo

August 17, 2011 8:00 amPosted 3 years ago
    Nancy Robison

brave little fighting boy…bless him he is now free and feeling perfect. I hope they double the charge on that psycho woman who did this to him. she should be in prison and have her poor children (who are slowly being turned into serial killers) taken away from her and including her unborn baby who still has a chance.

August 17, 2011 8:17 amPosted 3 years ago
    Nancy Robison

poor sweet little angel. at last he is no longer in pain or discomfort. I hope that the charches will be doubled on that “vermin”who did this to him and she should lose her children which she is already turning into serial killers and the baby she is carrying while it is still safe from her….but then again dont forget that film “The Bad Seed”…..

August 17, 2011 5:08 pmPosted 3 years ago
      hamby96

Nancy-sorry tears cloud my eyes, so writing is hard, but you are so right about the inhuman vermin and her unspeakable acts-torturing animals is one indicator of a serial killer-I hope they get counseling and hurt for Dexter and his sibling when they are taken away from “Mom”. Good God what else could she have had them do? They need to be punished and she needs to lose them and face felony charges and, well… some hits with a bat in the head. Senseless.

August 18, 2011 12:25 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Louise

Thank you Tiffany for taking care of him and showing him not all humans are miserable… The little angel is with his brother now, running free… I was hoping, like many others did, that he will be fine and he will live a long happy life, but he had another mission to accomplish I guess. I am so sorry for you pain, my heart is with you.
    As for that… humanoid, people please sign the petition. She is sure not fit to be a mother those 3 kids should be taken away and give a good chance in life. No good mother would teach her kids to kill 2 innocent and good kittens.

August 21, 2011 12:08 amPosted 3 years ago
    Esther and Nibbler

I’m just devastated to hear the sad news. Dexter found his little way into my heart in a second, as he did with thousands the world over. I was (and still am) so inspired and heartened by the love he was shown by so many, from the boys who initially rescued him, the mother who got him to help and all the staff at PetLuv clinic who did so much for him. Tiffany and all of Dexter’s loving friends are in my heart, thank you for sharing this little guy’s story with us. The pain and suffering he experienced in his short life was senseless and extreme, and I hope for justice to be served, but this cruelty was outweighed by the love and care you all showed him. Thank you for doing all you could for this little guy, you are wonderful people and I can’t imagine the heartache you must be feeling now. Thinking of you all – Esther and Nibbler xoxo

August 27, 2011 1:16 amPosted 3 years ago
    Phillip

On August 25th, a memorial tree was planted in a city park in the city of Brooksville, Florida, in honor of Dexter, and to thank the people at PetLuv who cared for him and all those that followed his story and are fighting to stop animal abuse. A granite marker will be laid at the base of tree in Tom Varn Park in Brooksville, Florida in one week, so Dexter is not forgotten.

August 28, 2011 2:10 pmPosted 3 years ago
    H Hollon

With tears in my eyes and a pain in my heart I thank all those who did so much to try and save baby Dexter. He was such an adorable baby who received so much love and he knew that he was loved and that is ever so important in everyone’s life be it animal or human. RIP baby boy and know that there were lots of people who sent you prayers and love ever since we read the story about the psychopath and her kids(who I hope are no longer living with their monster sicko mother) who did this to this baby. I hope the mother is fined, jailed, banned from ever being around or owning animals and has to PROVE that she is changed or she is not to be around her kids because she is teaching them such sick things that it is really scary because they will BE JUST LIKE THEIR SICKO MOTHER.

January 1, 2012 11:24 amPosted 2 years ago
    kathy doucette

I am at a total loss to tell everyone involved with little Dexter as to how overwhelmed I am at the supportative mentions regarding the little furry angel, but above all the kindness, love, strength and compassion all the wonderful people who cared for Dexter during his short stay on this earth. You truly are angels yourselves, This little guy was indeed sent to us with a message from God, just as to why he had to endure the terrible tragic senseless beating and horror as did his sweet sibling, makes us wonder, we too had a little furry kitten come into our lives about 5 months ago, we already have 6 indoor kitties and went visiting my mother in law when the Post office delivering lady stopped us as we slowed down, she had a tiny thing in her hands which we thought was a bird, it was our little Bubba as we have named her, she had been discarded and left to die in the snow and cold, her eyes were closed shut with a virus and her breathing was rattly, we took her with us and since then, we have had not only our vets who have worked wonders with her, but another vet who also had to remove one eye as it was so infected, they cut the cost in half and then swallowed another half of the remaining cost because we had taken in this sick injured kitten not even old enough to leave her mom. She is the image of Dexter, black and white with the white on her forehead etc, so I totally understand how sick some people are that can leave little creatures like this totally abandoned and left to die..Dexter and his sibling went through hell and I feel both for the little one that passed but for Dexter especially who tried to survive with the kindness and love and help from so many wonderful people, that woman makes me sick that did this to the kittens, total contempt for her, she should be locked up for a very long time and NEVER allowed to have any animals near her ever again, as for the kids, they are better off without her in their life and obviously will need counselling and learn this is NOT how one treats any animal. I have zero tolerance for cruelty to animals and this woman needs to be paid back for what she has done to those little kittens. I hope she rots in hell.