Dexter Kitten Receives Tender Loving Care at PetLuv Clinic After Brutal Assault

This sweet looking  kitten now called Dexter is being well cared for at a local clinic after children rescued him from an assault at a neighborhood park. A woman is accused of directing her two boys to commit brutality.

This adorable little kitten is recuperating at PetLuv Spay and Neuter Clinic in Brooksville FL after a group of children rescued him from an assault so terrible that “abuse” does not begin to address it. A woman and her two boys, aged 5 and 8, allegedly brutalized the kitten and his presumed sibling last Friday afternoon at Hill ‘N Dale Park in Brooksville FL. The other kitten was killed  but the children did manage to save Dexter. The mother of one boy took action from there and got the injured  kitten help.

“I feel horrible that the kids had to see that. It’s just so terrible. For her and her son to tag-team kittens? I can’t even fathom this.”

Sarah Murphey, the  mother of a 10 year old boy who witnessed the assault.

Ms. Murphy says her son and his friends grabbed the second, still living, kitten and headed to the house where she was visiting a friend in the area. She says the boys were shaken by the incident and worried about the surviving kitten’s health. “They were scared, but at the same time they felt bad that they couldn’t save the other kitten. My son’s very happy that he and the other kids saved the cat’s life and I’m glad that he did.” Ms. Murphy wrapped the kitten in a t-shirt and called 911. While she waited, she says, the animal began to shake violently.

Hernando County Animal Services took the little kitten, who seemed unresponsive at first. HCAS spokesman Patrick Pace says Dexter is showing improvement and is able to keep food down. Mr Pace, the kind of animal officer we like to see, called Rick Silvani, president of Pet Luv Nonprofit Spay and Neuter Clinic, and reports that Mr. Silvani told him that Pet Luv would pay for all of Dexter’s medical bills and nurse him back to health.

“All animals have a right to life, but a helpless, defenseless kitten …  you don’t know what to say. It’s just incomprehensible.”

Rick Silvani

Dexter is getting round the clock care, staying at the clinic during the day and going home with a vet tech at night. The clinic says that while Dexter is doing well for now, they have concerns about possible brain damage and say that though hopes for Dexter’s progress are guardedly optimistic his survival remains uncertain.

Ms. Murphy says she and her husband are considering adopting Dexter if he survives, saying of her son, “He obviously has a special attachment to the cat. He can’t stop talking about saving it. And we’re very proud that he did.”

For more on the clinic that is caring for this little creature, you can visit them at :

PetLuv Spay and Neuter Clinic

or

PetLuv Spa and Neuter Clinic on Facebook

__________

Wilana Frazier, shown above, is the 24 year pregant woman acused of directing her two boys to commit hideous brutality against two tiny defenseless kittens in public, at a park where children play. She was arrested on two counts of animal cruelty and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, based on the account of those at the scene, and  was booked into the Hernando County Jail. She  is being held with an undetermined figure set for bail – we’ve seen figures ranging from $3,500 to $14,000.

Ms. Frazier is reported to have made vicious threats about killing people, while spewing violent rhetoric during the attack she allegedly committed along with her two small boys. She admits being at the park but denies the charges, and has refused to make a written statement.

June 15, 2011 11:20 amPosted 3 years ago
    Lisa P

Pet Luv is located in Brooksville, FL :)
    Much Love and Light and heaing energies being sent to sweet Dexter!! :)

June 15, 2011 11:56 amPosted 3 years ago
      Karen Harrison Binette (Author)

Thanks for catching that, Lisa. I’ve made the correction. I actually meant to write Brooksville but my fingers had a mind of their own and made my mistype. ;-)

June 16, 2011 3:08 pmPosted 3 years ago
        Lisa P

You’re welcome :)

June 15, 2011 11:20 amPosted 3 years ago
    Sonia Black

Poor baby! Thanks for stepping in to save him. I hope the woman and 2 boys do time for this!!

• June 15, 2011 11:22 amPosted 3 years ago
    Kristopher Kosie

Good on those boys and their mom, the animal control officer and clinic for saving Dexter! Hopefully justice will be served. That being said, why am I always reading about these horrible stories? I just don’t understand the cruelty toward other living things some people are capable of. Utter disbelief.

• June 15, 2011 11:23 amPosted 3 years ago
    Kris Stein

I will never understand how someone can be mean to an animal. Speedy recovery Dexter.

June 15, 2011 11:25 amPosted 3 years ago
    Susan Reid

If that woman could do that to an innocent animal, what would she do to her children?! She needs to get some psychiatric help for her sake, as well that of the helpless animals in her path. I’m praying for sweet, little Dexter to survive so he can live a long, wonderful life with his rescuers!

June 15, 2011 11:26 amPosted 3 years ago
    Lisa Polo

Correction…Pet Luv is located in Brooksville FL not Gainesville.. :-)

June 15, 2011 11:29 amPosted 3 years ago
    Karine Lenaerts

THANK GOD, there is till some REAL humans on this planet!!!!!!!

June 15, 2011 11:31 amPosted 3 years ago
    Michele Griffith Brown

I hope the woman serves time and has to give up her children. Someone like that should not have custody of kids. She is teaching them horrible things and should lose them for this! I hope Florida justice system does it’s job!

June 15, 2011 11:36 amPosted 3 years ago
    Courtney

I hate people, I really hate people.

• June 15, 2011 11:36 amPosted 3 years ago
    Julie Podmore

i thourt the world was a lover of animals not all and all thes poor animals r sufferin cuz of humans well im 1 of the few who do luv em and any1 who cud hurt and abuse any gods livin animals is beyound me thnk god theyr sum in this world tht do care and will help out wat goes throu sum1s head 2 abuse a pet theyr sik and twisted and deserve everythin they get pets look up 2 us 4 luv care etc and shud b respected wat gets me wen an animal has bin hurt they still trust us think its bout time we looked at em and think if any1 dnt like animals dnt hurt thm not rite leave thm alone

November 3, 2011 5:58 amPosted 2 years ago
      CB

I have no idea what this person is attempting to say. Do they no longer teach spelling and grammer in school? Could someone put this into English please?

• June 15, 2011 11:37 amPosted 3 years ago
    Machelle Trail

she’s nuts. take her children away from her and put her in the nut hut.

• June 15, 2011 11:42 amPosted 3 years ago
    Courtney Wilson

Ugh, I hate this I cant believe this. I hate this, I am so happy he is getting help. I am praying it turns out okay. That women is horrible and I hope she losses her kids and suffers for this. WHO CAN KILL FUCKING KITTENS?!

June 15, 2011 11:51 amPosted 3 years ago
    Debbie

I’m really fed up with violent people killing babies and animals and abusing innocent people. I’m glad that she was arrested. People like this, who in turn purposely teach their children violence and disregard for the sanctity of life, need to charged and serve jail time for their actions. It’s an epidemic — people who have no moral compass and feel comfortable being violent with their words and actions. We are now dealing with a morally bankrupt generation who grew up being allowed to “go nuts” as kids with no discipline or instruction from their parents. As a result, they are all about themselves and what they want regardless of whether it’s morally or legally wrong. In my city, several police officers have been arrested for sexual abuse of minors, lying and blackmailing — they are roughly the same age as this woman. Also, several young women are being sought for beating another 20-something with a baseball outside of a nightclub. In my neighborhood, a homeowner’s board member committed embezzlement of the community’s money by voting to give herself a “reimbursement” because she failed to carry her own insurance for her personal affects. The other night, my husband and I watched in horror as the young driver in the car ahead of us purposely ran over a cat crossing the road just to kill it. That’s just the day-to-day actions of people who have no good sense or what’s legally right or wrong. And just think, these human wastes of flesh are going to be our caregivers in about 25 yrs.!

• June 16, 2011 2:37 amPosted 3 years ago
      Jane Kostopoulos

I would have went after the young bastard driver and ran him off the damn road.

• June 15, 2011 11:54 amPosted 3 years ago
    Mike Lewis

Would this be the right time to have someone pay this heartless lady a visit and explain in words on one syllable what kind of accident might befall her when she gets out out jail?

• June 15, 2011 11:56 amPosted 3 years ago
    Lisa Neff

The woman has the eyes of a sociopath :-( She should be in jail.

• June 16, 2011 7:42 amPosted 3 years ago
      Kimberley

That’s what I thought, too. She has dead eyes. =( I hope it’s not too late for her kids.

September 6, 2012 2:35 pmPosted 1 year ago
        windchimelady

It’s already too late for this thing’s offspring…… they’re the ones who beat the kitten

June 15, 2011 12:00 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Debbie Scott Schermerhorn

She has the eyes of a morally-bankrupt, waste of flesh and air human.

June 15, 2011 12:03 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Linda Williams Redman

Mean people suck. The kittens did not deserve the violence inflicted on them. I believe this will not be the end of this so called family’s violent tendancies.. Too bad people aren’t euthanized for their behavioral problems like animals are.

June 15, 2011 12:27 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Karen Edie

Too bad she has and is reproducing. Training children to hurt and kill helpless creatures–completely appalling.

June 15, 2011 12:47 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Yolanda Lira Isaacs

Yes Mike Lewis that sounds good to me!!!! That hateful heartless witch!!! She does not need to be reproducing! !! What goes around comes around! !!! How about teaching your kids to be kind, respectful, and to help others!!! I hope they take those kids away from that beast!!!

June 15, 2011 1:08 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Nancy Davis

Glad this kitty is doing ok so far & hope he has no lingering affects. Unbelievable that this pregnant mother would teach her children to kill animals, as well as contribute to the brutality. She & her foul mouth should be put away for good.

• June 15, 2011 2:13 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Valarie Irons-Poppiti

oh my GOD! woman who directed this should not be a parent! take the kids and unborn away from her, sterlize her and lock her up! how can anyone hurt a kitten??? :`( ….. i was having a good day…….

• June 15, 2011 2:14 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Valarie Irons-Poppiti

thankful for the ones who stepped in!!!! and so saddened to hear of more abuse like ‘little hearts’ … breaks my heart!

June 15, 2011 2:17 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Sarah Heinz

I love when Good triumpsh over Evil and Class triumphs over Trash

June 15, 2011 10:38 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Anita Connors

Thanks to all those who stepped in to help. You are all wonderful special people, both kids and adults. And now for that sorry piece of trash woman—please, please, please let the authorities take her children (including the unborn) away from her–they have a chance to change. She, on the other hand, has a special place in hell reserved for her.

• June 15, 2011 10:51 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Sheri Schneider

I’m so thankful that the boys who saved Dexter were able to stand up to those comitting this brutal act. Their parents should be very proud of them. And to all who continue to care for Dexter, thank you! If the woman charged is teaching her children to do this type of violence to a defenseless kitten, imagine what those children will be doing to defenseless humans. It’s too late for her, but hopefully not for the children or else we’ll be reading about them again for continued and escalating violence.

June 15, 2011 11:17 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Christine Mtlchk

Oh goodness, Dexter? I read another story on this and this crime is horrendous. Of coarse I am thankful for the heroes in this story, but I am truly sickened by what this individual has done to her children.It actually reminded me of the show DEXTER.Yes,they saved the kitten,but truly I believe the children of this crazy woman were saved today.

• June 15, 2011 11:31 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Life With Cats

We chose not to report the details of the assault, but have read them in detail.

• June 16, 2011 12:15 amPosted 3 years ago
    Francine Geoffroy

Some people are bad persons, unfortunately …

• June 16, 2011 2:38 amPosted 3 years ago
    Jane Kostopoulos
    June 16, 2011 6:08 amPosted 3 years ago
    Christine Mtlchk

@Life with Cats, I can totally understand why and thank you for it.

June 16, 2011 8:26 amPosted 3 years ago
    Linda

Unbelievable…prayers that little Dexter continues to do well with no long term effects.

June 16, 2011 9:15 amPosted 3 years ago
    Tammy

I cannot bring myself to read what happened, brutal assault is upsetting enough to me also accidentally read that this is the one kitten that made it, Anyway I hope and pray that the prognosis is really good…. I see his face, eyes and the IV tube insert, poor baby, I have a cat that looks alot like this one….. Prayers to you little one, you are being loved and cared for. Thank you Angels for doing that~! :*) Appreciated beyond what you know. sniff, sniff.

June 16, 2011 2:58 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Eilene Wood

Praying for this sweet innocent baby. I hope she punished to the full extent of the law. Cruelty to animals has got to stop and stiffer laws enforced. This woman is pregnant with her 3rd child.

Thank you to the children that saved this kitten. You are my heroes.

Here is the link to the petition site:

June 16, 2011 3:40 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Eilene Wood
    June 18, 2011 10:58 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Tammy

At least 1 kitten was saved and she was caught and hopefully will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and get some mental help. This little darling kitten, so tiny with the sweetest little pink nose~! God bless him and prayers lifted to Heaven for his complete recovery~! God bless all his angels as well :*)

June 26, 2011 11:12 amPosted 3 years ago
    Lisa W

How can anyone be cruel to innocent animals who cannot defend themselves. Hey…I have an idea! How about someone twice the size of the mother and her two sons grab a bat and beat them so that they all can get an idea of how it feels. Blind them in one eye and break their arms, just like they did to poor Dexter. I think for people like that, it would be the ONLY way they would learn their lesson! PS…I am not for cruelty of animals, humans or anything, however, this would certainly be an exception.

June 26, 2011 11:56 amPosted 3 years ago
    Eilene Wood

Everyone if you are on facebook there is a page for PetLuv Spay/Neuter clinic they give updates there and little Dexter has his own page:

June 26, 2011 12:45 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Debbie Panarella

This woman should be stoned, hung or beaten to death. How could anyone do harm to ANY animals. She is disturbed, mentally ill and deranged. I hope justice is done to her.

June 26, 2011 4:44 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Jeannie

The more I see people this B _ _ _ _, the more I like my German Shepherd I rescured.

June 26, 2011 6:26 pmPosted 3 years ago
      Debbie Panarella

I couldn’t agree with you more totally! 110 %!! God’s love to Dexter that he makes a safe recovery and finds a loving home. I would adopt him in a heartbeat but I travel between NY and FL quite frequently with my precious Daisy Mae. I love animals so much that people take a second stance even my husband. I wish I was picked to be a juror for that trial. I’d make sure she would swim with the sharks.

June 26, 2011 8:12 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Debbie Panarella

Hi Eilene.
    Thank you for forwarding the video to all that is involved with Dexter. Please keep me posted on his latest developments.
    Debbie

August 22, 2011 5:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Clare White

Although I’m horrified by what this woman did and by what these children did/witnessed each other doing, I’m equally horrified by the death threats and violent wishes of those commenting here. Wilana Frazier should lose custody of her children and go to jail and get therapy, but more violence won’t solve anything.

August 22, 2011 6:28 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Eilene Wood

I’m sure most of you know baby Dexter crossed over to Rainbow Bridge last Monday, August 15th. He started having seizures that got worse and they couldn’t be controlled, he was in pain and suffering and Tiffany decided it was time for him to cross. I’ve been so sad and heartbroken over this. I cried many tears last week, looking at his precious pictures.I felt Dexter was over the big hurdle and all would be good. Tiffany has posted some of his last videos on facebook.

August 26, 2011 3:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Angelina

Hi everytbody, i’m writing you from Argentina.
    I feel so sad for this little kitten, in a way i’m glad he stopped suffering.
    I wonder how can it be possible for this kids to do such a terrible crime? and thier mother, a monster who should be in prisson for the rest of her life. As for the kids, the same for them, juvenile court and to prisson.
    Some people is souless, hollow and simply can’t be a part of society.
    Call me cruel or whatever, but the torture and after death of this innocent cat is all i have to refer to.
    I really hope she never sees the sun again, and the same for the monsters she raised.

September 17, 2011 10:07 amPosted 2 years ago
      Amanda

I feel bad for Dexter, and yes it was horrible, but you really can’t blame those kids. I mean with a mother like that, who knows what’s happened to them… Maybe they’ve been beaten for years, maybe they’re scared of their mother. What those kids really need now is some care, some understanding, some community service helping animals and a strict but caring foster home and hopefully they can come past this…

As for that woman… I say 2 life sentences sounds good to me, one for each kitten, maybe tack on some years for what she did to those kids. And let all the other woman in prison know what she did, they’ll make sure she gets what’s coming.

• April 7, 2012 11:21 amPosted 2 years ago
    Sheila Jeffery

I wish I could start a Low income Vet clinic for animals of pet owners who can’t afford vet care for thier Pets when they Get sick I had to give up my Cat Sox because he needed Help and I could not afford The Vet Care he did Get sick

April 7, 2012 11:44 amPosted 2 years ago
    Eilene Wood

I undertand there is a May trial date, not sure of the date. They have postponed many times. If I hear anything I will post.