Chew on this: Some of spring’s most beautiful flowers can be deadly for curious nibbling cats.
It’s Easter and your mother-in-law has just given you the most beautiful lily arrangement! Where will you put it? Hopefully out of reach of Mrs. Muffin Fluff and Captain Pickles. Those beautiful lilies can kill! Some are less toxic than others. For example, Peace, Calla and Peruvian Lilies contain oxalate crystals that cause tissue irritation of the mouth and throat which can result in excessive drooling. Whereas Tiger, Asiatic, Japanese Show, Day and Easter Lilies can cause kidney failure and death. All parts of the lily are poisonous. A leaf, a petal, pollen and even the water in which the lilies might be soaking can poison a cat. You should be aware of the signs of lily poisoning. If Schnookums partook of one of the more toxic varieties, she will most likely vomit and become depressed and lethargic within an hour or two. She will refuse her food and become more lethargic as the she becomes more ill. She can go into kidney failure within 36-72 hours. If you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a lily, please contact your veterinarian. Luckily, if help is found soon enough, supportive care from your veterinarian can save her life.
Not sure which variety of lily you have? Too be safe, put it out of kitty’s reach. Or better yet, choose from these spring favorites that are safe for cats: Easter Orchids, Easter Lily CACTUS, Easter Daisy and African Violets. Click here for a printable list from the ASPCA of plants that are toxic and non-toxic to cats. The ASPCA also has an Animal Poison Control Center which can be reached 24/7 by calling, (888) 426-4435 (a fee may apply). Have a happy and SAFE Easter and Spring!